Mobile technology – listening to the voice of Haitians
Summary: Using technology to increase the effectiveness of accountability to affected communities by creating an interactive communication platform using innovative SMS and Interactive Voice Response (IVR) technology in a humanitarian setting.
- Lack of feedback from affected communities – accountability to affected communities
- Break down identified barriers to feedback and participation; e.g. low literacy, complicated systems and lack of familiarity with sending SMS
Innovation Factor: developing a 2-way communication system by combining the success of TERA (Trilogy Emergency Relief Application) with the two-way information-sharing capacity of IVR technology to create one innovative solution that not only broadcasts life-saving practical information, but also gives Haitians an easy way to get their voice heard to become real partners in the recovery process.
Added Value: enhancing the interactivity of the existing communication platform, TERA, by developing its functionality and capacity and introducing IVR technology.
Key Deliverables / Impact:
- Increasing two-way communication with beneficiaries
- Reaching more beneficiaries with life-saving information
- Provide beneficiaries an easy way to get their voice heard
- Faster response to emergencies and therefore faster dissemination of life-saving information
- Providing beneficiaries with more specialised information from different organisations
- In-depth information and analysis from beneficiary responses